Early College of Arvada’s counseling department assists students in their academic, social/emotional, and career readiness pursuits. Appointments are available to help you with the following:
- Organizational Skills
- Time Management Skills
- Study Skills
- Coping Skills
- Scheduling (making sure students are scheduled into appropriate level classes)
- Class Support
- Student and Family Resources
- College Planning
- Career Planning (Link to PDF – PDF Needed)
ECA partners with two local colleges to provide access to not only high school credit but college credits for free.
College Application Season is here!
Students have been provided with the following checklist. Parents are encouraged to help their college-bound students through the application process. If you have any questions about College Applications or want to discuss alternative, post-graduation paths, please reach out to me, Bridgette Foster, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1) Create a Common App account (do not request letters of recommendation until you link the Common App with Naviance, or it will not work).
Common App Website to Sign Up
What is the Common App?
2) Finalize a list of Colleges you plan on applying to in Naviance. Move them from “colleges I am thinking about” to “colleges I’m applying to”.
How to add Colleges to your Naviance account
3) Match you Naviance and Common App Accounts
How to Match Naviance with Common App
Please double check that you add ECA as your school and waive FERPA.
4) Note the deadlines for each College you want to apply to. Are you applying Early Decision, Early Action, Regular Decision, or Rolling Admission?
4 Types of College deadlines explained
5) Does a College on your list require an essay? Does the College require multiple, supplemental essays? You can find this information through their website or by adding the College to your Naviance/Common App.
Common App Essay Prompts
Tips for writing a great Common App Essay
Word Limit (over 250, under 650).
I am happy to proofread a draft of your essay and provide feedback.
6) Complete a Brag Sheet and share with me via google drive. A completed Brag Sheet will help me write a great counselor recommendation for you (required for every application). You may also share your Brag Sheet with those writing a Letter of Recommendation for you.
7) Letters of Recommendation (LOR). How many LORs you need depends on each College’s application requirements, much like the essays.
Who should I ask for a LOR?
Request a LOR through common app (DO NOT do this until your Common App and Naviance accounts are matched).
8) If you qualify, complete a Fee Waiver Application form. If you do not qualify, I suggest calling the college/university’s financial aid office anyway and requesting a fee waiver.
Common App Fee Waiver
9) Apply to FAFSA Apply Here
FAFSA stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aide. It is need based, meaning funds are awarded based on factors such as household income, number of claimed dependents etc.. It is first come first serve, so apply ASAP. You will need your parents 2020 tax return to complete the application, and a few other things 7 Things you Need to Apply to FAFSA
Remember to write down your username and password, as you must apply to FAFSA each year. No excuse not to apply. FAFSA provides free money towards your education!
Bridgette L. Foster